Wednesday, January 4, 2006

reasons not to worry..

I won't be posting tomorrow, I've got my needle biopsy for my dear Milo. I posted twice today so I figure I'm covered. Tho I'll be missing the first HNT of the new year!!! DAMN! Well I'll just do one on Friday. Anyhoo here are some soothing facts from our fine friends over at endocrineweb.com:
  • One in 12 to 15 young women has a thyroid nodule
  • One in 40 young men has a thyroid nodule
  • More than 95 percent of all thyroid nodules are benign (non-cancerous growths)
  • Some are actually cysts which are filled with fluid rather than thyroid tissue
  • Most people will develop a thyroid nodule by the time they are 50 years old
  • The incidence of thyroid nodules increases with age
    o 50% of 50 year olds will have at least one thyroid nodule
    o 60% of 60 year olds will have at least one thyroid nodule
    o 70% of 70 year olds will have at least one thyroid nodule

No comments: