Monday, April 17, 2006

'no need to worry'

Someone googled PRONUNCIATION JOVOVICH and came here. Poor bastards. I hope they don't think i was doing it properly. Heh.

Anyhoo, I understand people are only trying to be supportive but if one more person I barely know, who knows nothing about a thyroid or cancer involving it, comes up to me and says 'don't worry you'll be fine' I will punch them somewhere particularly nasty. I know I am not going to die but I don't want people belittling this. That must sound funny. I really identified with this quote from
Susan Hibbard's Purple Butterfly:


“I’m sure you’ll be fine” they all said. How do they know? I understand they mean they HOPE I will be fine, but it did make me feel that they were telling me how to feel, and that I was wrong to worry about it. Somehow, it was as if they were taking something away from me. It’s not that I am basking in the attention it brings, but it doesn’t help to have your fears belittled. With everything else I have to worry about, I don’t need to feel that I am over exaggerating things. I need people to endorse my right to be frightened.”

I’m sure I will be fine too, but it’s not going to be a fun ride getting there.

No comments: