Thursday, August 10, 2006

what is the i that has a body?


This question came to me and now refuses to leave my head. And by came to me I mean I eventually fished it out of my brain after staring at my blank e-paper for 10 minutes trying to think of something extraordinary to blog about. Pure Clara and all that. When I was in university I took a lot of interesting classes. I think that subconsciously I knew I wouldn’t make it all the way through (so close though) and after first year I pretty much just took classes that interested me, with no particular goal in mind. To this day I am so glad that I did. One of those classes was Eastern Religion. Go figure. I did end up dropping this class I believe, as I have no recollection of the final exam. Which doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Anyhoo, the first thing that the Prof said to us was ‘what is the “I” that has a body’.

Huh.

For some reason this sentence pops into my head now and again. Like I said I dropped this class within the required timeframe for it not to count against me so I’m surprised I even remember that this class existed, let alone this enigmatic phrase. I believe this sentence was trying blow our minds and make us realize that our bodies are simply flesh and we shouldn’t get wrapped up in it. I totally agree. Now. But up against newly unsupervised first year students experiencing the deliciously corporeal sensations of food, sex, drugs and alcohol – good luck buddy. I’m just thrilled I didn’t lose a limb or end up in Tijuana with a cheeky donkey and no money. Thanks for trying though. Really.

No comments: