Monday, February 9, 2009

bday fun recap

So my birthday was frickin awesome.

The In-Laws spoiled me as usual, with dinner and presents galore. Highlights of the evening were my yellow and Jesus themed wrapping paper and a picture of MOI!




This cartoonesque portrait was done by a client of Denise’s and I must say is he ever talented. Through pictures and personality info provided by Jer’s family he created this marvelous rendition. A stunning likeness if I do say so myself. I’ve always felt like I was a space pirate/cyborg trapped in a cube dwellers body. It’s true.

I’m planning a ‘hot girl’ wall of artwork. Jeremy has a sexy girl Captain N Gamemaster, Indianette Jones and I have Dreamgirl and a cute Anime girl in a purple jumpsuit. Space Clara will go along nicely if I do say so myself.

Now I didn’t think I would be seeing my family on my birthday weekend, in fact I thought it strange that we hadn’t made any plans or at least lamented the lack of Clara on this special day. Well I was wrong.

On Sunday Jeremy made me get up and go out. Wouldn’t tell me where. I was unwashed in grubby clothes and had to be dragged out. He said it was a romantic surprise. So as we get to Yonge and Eg and don’t head on the subway I finally figure it out – the Mandarin! Fun! I’d never been.

So we walk in and I blindly follow Jeremy around the restaurant until he pops into a room and declares us ‘here’. I saw my dad at one of the tables. I sort of stared uncomprehendingly for a moment and then the rest of my family jumped up from behind the tables and yelled surprise. I was flabbergasted. I’ve never used that word in a situation that adequately harnessed its linguistic potential. But there you have it. I was. Flabbergasted. I stared at everyone for awhile then covered my mouth and started tearing up. Once I got past the shock I was just so genuinely happy to see my family and spend some time with them. Even the niece and nephews were there. Adorable.

They made me some charming object d’art. Nephew One created a sculpture for my desk and Only Niece made a hanging piece with a working bell on the end. Truly magnifique non?

After gorging myself on dumplings we played “Clarinko’. Much like Plink from the Price is Right but with a smaller board and poker chips. Each chip would land in a category on the bottom. The one I got the most was ‘The 80’s’ and I totally rocked it. For example one question was 'Name the 4 Ninja Turtles and their corresponding colours. Please. I even named their weapons. Oh snap.


When I got a correct answer I won Danier Dollars and after lunch Jenna and Kaity took me to the Danier outlet to pick out a leather jacket. I have never had a brand new leather jacket. I was pretty thrilled. I happened to pick the one that Jeremy was championing and I have yet to hear the end of it. When I put it on he compliments me lavishly then says it’s a good thing he came too otherwise who knows what I would have come home with. Cheeky thing.

Ah yes, Jeremy. Well the boy did very well this year. He indulged my weakness for barbarians and shiny things. This limited edition Conan really does justice to that kooky Cimmerian. I deliberately positioned him in from of the mirror so as not to hide his rippling back muscles. Now the necklace is one of TWO citrine lovelies that Jeremy gave me. I was pretty stunned. I had just that week been harassing him and emailing links to Birks ordering him to buy me jewellery. I’m so gracious.

No comments: